Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Slut-Shaming?

This is a term that's kind of thrown around in feminist circles.  It refers to the practice of making women feel inferior for experimenting or behaving sexually in a way that defies traditional gender norms.  In essence, if you call women who sleep with a guy on the first date a slut but laud a man for sleeping with a woman on the first date, you are "slut shaming".

Now, I get that.  Women don't want to be called out for something that men can not only get away with, but are often celebrated for.  No one like rampant hypocrisy.  But, what if you "slut shame" both genders equally?  Is that still sexist?

To me I think there is behavior that one can honestly and objectively call "slutty".  People who are promiscuous (and I'm not talking about that one time you got drunk and hooked up at a party in college) are sluts.  It's a fact of life.  Sorry.  It doesn't matter if you're a man or a woman.  I don't think it's a good idea for people to be cavalier like that in their sex lives.  I don't think there's any problem with judging people for their sexual behavior.  As long as I'm willing to dish out evenly to both sexes, what's the big deal?

Anyone have any thoughts?  Agree?  Disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment