Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Quarter-Life Crisis

Feeling a bit melancholy today, which is not entirely unusual for me.  I got a job (orientation was today), for those of you who remember that I last worked in the early summer of 2011.  It's a sales associate position, same kind I had before, just with a different company.  It's "full time", in that I'll get somewhere between 35 and 40 hours per week, but it's hourly not salary, and still not enough to live on my own.  But it's money, so here I am.

This post today is more about how, I don't know, sad I feel.  I feel overqualified for this job.  I feel like I'm wasting my time doing it.  I don't want to be in retail, but I don't feel like I have a choice, you know?  Between this and the quite obvious problem I have with my love life, I feel like my life is no where like what I imagined it would be at this point.

I thought I'd go into public policy, like a think tank or government work.  And then maybe head into academia.  I had a bit of a falling out, and to be honest my grades kind of slipped due to what I think was/is probably depression.  Regardless, I'm not at the stage of life I thought I'd be.

I really need help figuring out how to get a career.  I really don't want to be in retail sales, I'd much prefer to be doing something where I could use my (hopefully superb) intellect and creativity.  I cringe at the thought of starting work for this company.

On top of all that, I'm going to be working full time and it won't even be enough to live independently.  I think I could at least sacrifice happiness for self-sufficiency.

In any case, I feel down tonight.  I don't see how that's going to change.

So readers, are you where you thought you'd be?  Any advice for a aspiring young professional, without any actual, um, professional experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment